Wednesday 29 January 2014

REVIEW: The Last Lecture


Image from www.businessinsider.com

Just before Christmas I purchased the book ‘The Last Lecture’ by Randy Pausch. I’d read various reviews of the book on Tumblr, and those who had read it seemed to sing its praises afterwards so I thought I’d give it a try. ‘The Last Lecture’ is slightly different to books that I would normally choose to read. Usually I go straight for any young adult fiction, like The Hunger Games and any John Green novel, however this book made for a refreshing change.


‘The Last Lecture’ is somewhat based around the author’s quote ‘we cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.’ Randy Pausch was a father, a husband, and a professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Randy gave his last lecture at Carnegie Mellon in September 2007, following his diagnoses of pancreatic cancer and doctors giving him only a few months to live. Randy takes the readers on a journey right from his childhood up until his adult life at the time of writing the book, with all the adventures and life lessons he’s learnt along the way.  This book has the power to change not only how you view things, but also essentially how you live your life.

I loved everything about this book and honestly never wanted it to end. It made me laugh, then cry, then both at the same time. Each chapter is filled with inspirational quotes, heart-warming stories and ways to change your life for the better. I would have no problem recommending this book to everyone I know, in fact I’ve already bought it as a present for a number of my friends. With most of the chapters being only a few pages long it is a perfect read for anyone, regardless of how busy their schedule is; no excuses! However if you are someone who prefers to watch videos rather than reading a book, Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture is available for purchasing on DVD, or alternatively it’s also available for viewing on YouTube.

Have you read this book? Any other books you recommend? Let me know in the comments below!

Article can also be found at http://mystudentstyle.co.uk/2014/01/29/the-last-lecture-review/

No comments:

Post a Comment